Flying Lotus “Until the Quiet Comes” | Warp Records
Flying Lotus (A.K.A. Steven Ellison) has dropped off a shamanistic, electronica jazz-infused hip-hop odyssey that makes a direct cut at what dreams in general are made of.
Instead of continuing where he left off on both Cosmogramma and beat heavy EP Pattern+Grid World, Lotus takes a less claustrophobic approach towards his seemingly minimal yet incredibly complicated showcase of sound engineering and musicianship. Besides his now more than two-year collaborator Thundercat (a ridiculous virtuoso on bass who released his first LP on Flylo’s Brainfeeder), there are many guests on Until the Quiet Comes. What do Niki Randa, Erykah Badu, Thom Yorke and Laura Darlington all have in common? Well, on Until The Quiet Comes, they all offer incredibly dreamscape vocals that reverberate around a spacious room where all children dwell.
Ellison found himself in the process of bringing to life older creations with programs and sequencers like Ableton along with analog equipment and acoustic instruments. He also took piano lessons and applied techniques such as parallel compression (along with his already stunning EQ knowledge) to squeeze juicy sounds into big, open spaces. All of this put together in two years, some of it things that didn’t land on Thundercat’s breakthrough album.
On Until the Quiet Comes, Flying Lotus shines like a crystal inside of a nightmare; everything is clear here. Mind is free, mind is easy and drifting. It’s strange to listen to because I found myself trying to focus on each part of the song but grew anxious. When I let go, when I let the album drift by, I felt an incredible washing relief sway throughout my body. I felt myself let go. And this, to me, is sort of what Until the Quiet Comes basically is. Just as we have an abundance of things inside of our unconscious, the first thing one learns when meditating is not to focus on any one thing in particular (this is practiced, although usually later in meditative treatments). Instead, we are forced to see the entirety, which is what brings about the awesome amount of peace and harmony of the Cosmo’s that has been digitally compressed and offered on his 2012 release.
Flying Lotus listened to a variety of African percussion music along with psychedelic/kraut bands Silver Apples and Can (who in themselves are incredibly percussive). It all comes together on this really sort of ephemeral odyssey, which I repeat, cannot be captured but can be let travel through ones system. Which I think is what is intended and executed masterfully. Also, having Daddy Kev at the board of mastering is also a bonus.
It rings true to Flying Lotus’s vision of not only the album but also of his opinions of the mysticism within Los Angeles. It rings true and therefore connects. This album is masterpiece exercise in letting go.
Buy this release
Sound Colour Vibration
Music | Art | Film | Technology | Science | Gear | CultureSound Colour Vibration covers a wide variety of genres past and present and will continue to bridge the many cultures of music, film and art. SCV is a vehicle to present these three mediums of art as one collective window that shows the creative evolution of the human race in modern times. We cover timeless art, film and music, not just what's in or what record sales dictate. Our site includes interviews, album and film reviews, online art gallery, streaming music podcast series and much more. We are also known as SACVS (Sound and Colour Vibration Society). Learn more about the different areas that represent Sound Colour Vibration HERE Read an exclusive interview with Sound Colour Vibration's Erik Otis for Conversations with Bianca by clicking on the link below Conversations with Bianca "With the power of soul, anything is possible" - Jimi Hendrix
- RLP offers the stream of the debut album from Eureka The Butcher ‘Music For Mothers’ | Music News May 22, 2013
- 1979 documentary on “New Age Music” pioneer Iasos | B.F.T.P. 393 May 22, 2013
- Prefuse 73 starts new label Yellow Year Records and begins with 12 month collab series ‘Speak Soon’ ft Teebs, Dimlite, Lapalux, Nosaj Thing and more | Music News May 22, 2013
- Jon Hopkins “Open Eye Signal” Domino Records | Official Music Video May 22, 2013
- Staubgold represses CD and LP versions of Patrick Vian’s 1976 masterpiece ‘Bruits et Temps Analogues’ | Music News May 21, 2013
- Snow Dog Records offers a new batch of Black Jazz 70′s reissue CD’s | Music News May 21, 2013
- Bill Laswell’s Method of Defiance offers new LP ‘Nahariama 4th Column’ | Music News May 21, 2013
- Documentarian Janet Tobias releases heartbreaking No Place On Earth | Film Reviews May 21, 2013
- Chartmaker reissues legendary Westcoast acid psych masterpiece ‘Goldenrod’ on LP | Music News May 21, 2013
- First official vinyl pressing of Joy Division’s historic 1979 YMCA show in London | Music News May 21, 2013
- Quadron “Hey Love” Vested in Culture | Official Music Video May 21, 2013
- Shortcircles premieres his debut single “On My Mind” via Plug Research | Music News May 21, 2013
- Tricky’s new LP ‘False Idols’ streaming in full via NPR | Music News May 21, 2013
- Kaytranada ‘Kaytra Todo’ HW&W | Album Review May 21, 2013
- EarthQuaker Devices redefines modulated delay with the new Disaster Transport SR | Instruments, Gear & Software May 21, 2013
- Rick Rodriguez live painting from Joshua Tree Music Festival, May 2013 | CiM 267 May 20, 2013
- Beat Swap Meet returns to LA Sat & Sun June 22nd-23rd | Music News May 20, 2013
- Buddy Guy live in 1969 with Jack Bruce, Roland Kirk, Buddy Miles and others | B.F.T.P. Vol 392 May 20, 2013
- SCV joins dublab’s Proton Drive Fundraiser May 29th, 2013 (4-8pm) | Music News May 20, 2013
- Wu-Tang Clan present the 7″ 45RPM “Execution in Autumn” | Music News May 20, 2013
- ☒hLX offers the new three song EP ‘Ephesta’ | Music News May 20, 2013
- Kaveh Hosseini’s surreal, psychedelic and abstract photography | CiM 266 May 20, 2013
- ‘The Dance of Reality’, premiered at Cannes Festival, warmly welcomes back Alejandro Jodorowsky | Film News May 19, 2013
- Japanese surrealist painter Naoto Hattori | CiM 265 May 19, 2013
- ‘Pandora’s Promise’, groundbreaking documentary by director Robert Stone, opens 6/14 | Film News May 19, 2013
- FYF Fest 2013 with headliners My Bloody Valentine and Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Music News May 19, 2013
- Tom Hanks stars in the new biopic ‘Captain Phillips’ about the Maersk Alabama hijacking | Film News May 19, 2013
- Debut trailer for Vin Diesel’s ‘Riddick’ premieres this week via Machinima | Film News May 19, 2013
- Full trailer releases for ‘Pacific Rim’ from director Guillermo del Toro | Film News May 19, 2013
- Jeff Nichols releases his epic coming-of-age film Mud | Film Reviews May 18, 2013
- RLP offers the stream of the debut album from Eureka The Butcher 'Music For Mothers' | Music News wp.me/pMKub-7VW 35 minutes ago
- 1979 documentary on "New Age Music" pioneer Iasos | B.F.T.P. 268 wp.me/pMKub-7VP 1 hour ago
- Prefuse 73 starts new label Yellow Year Records and begins with 12 month collab series 'Speak Soon' ft Teebs, Dimlite, Lapalux, Nosaj Thing… 2 hours ago
- Jon Hopkins "Open Eye Signal" Domino Records | Official Music Video wp.me/pMKub-7VE 3 hours ago
- Staubgold represses CD and LP versions of Patrick Vian's 1976 masterpiece 'Bruits et Temps Analogues' | Music News wp.me/pMKub-7Vy 16 hours ago
- Snow Dog Records offers a new batch of Black Jazz 70's reissue CD's | Music News wp.me/pMKub-7Vm 17 hours ago
- Bill Laswell's Method of Defiance offers new LP 'Nahariama 4th Column' | Music News wp.me/pMKub-7Vi 18 hours ago
Traffic at SCV
- 867,104 visits
Sound Colour Vibration’s Mixcloud Channel
Hour long mixes with music from all over the globe and from many different time periods. Our mixes contain no commercials or a host and are compiled from the depths of our collections. Expect the unexpected.
If you would like to listen to our mixes on your iPod, grab the Mixcloud App here http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mixcloud/i
Call of The Void
The Bear and The Sea
That Purple Bastard
The Cactus Channel
Daniel "Thing" Stiner
The Gaslamp Killer
Elzabeth Olsen and Sean Durkin
Nicolas Winding Refn
Danny Paul Grody
The Get Up Kids
Free The Robots
2935 S. Fish Hatchery Rd, #414
Madison, WI 53711 / USA
Porter Records was born in 2005 out of a love for crate digging in the basements of record shops. Porter’s founder, Luke Mosling, has a talent for finding the obscure, beautiful and strange recordings that may have previously gone unheard by a larger audience. This talent started the reissue portion of the Porter Records catalog.
When doing reissues, Porter works hard at creating strong relationships with the original artists or their estates. This allows Porter to respect not only the original vision of the artist and their recordings, but also to respect the vision the artist has for the future. Porter’s goal is to make these reissues more widely known and recognized as important pieces of art within their respected genres.
Porter Records is more than a reissue label. Porter has over 40 releases by modern composers and performers that bring something special to the current day music tapestry. Each release is like a hidden jewel providing its own unique color and brilliance. Porter Records is very proud to have such talented artists and a diverse catalog of genres in a time when the music industry is pumping out replica after replica.